Early Organization and Founding of the Church
Exactly when the first Orthodox service in
On November 23, 1929, eight months after Fr. Panos’ visit, a large group of Greek residents met in San Angelo and created the “Hellenic Educational Society ‘The Platon’” It was commonly referred to as “The Platon Society.” This organization was created to establish and support a Greek school to teach the Greek language, and to educate its members about American customs and ideas. It also was intended to promote religious studies meeting the needs of members of the Greek Orthodox faith as fostered by the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Starting in February,1932 the Society began holding meetings in the dance hall above the City Café on Chadbourne Street. That same year (1932) the Society voted to begin buying lots for a “Greek cemetery.” This was the beginning of the establishment of what would come to be known as the “Greek Section” of
A little over one month later the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary San Angelo was incorporated on November 28, 1932. The initial directors of the church were George Athanas, Pano Karr (Karavelas), George Pappas, Mike Michalopulos, John Economides, James Kalaitzes and